Friday, July 29, 2011

The Crescent City. The Big Easy. NOLA.

New Orleans.

My first weekend in Louisiana was spent in the world-famous city.

A friend from Kansas was itching to get out for a bit, and I tagged along. It was a good introduction to the city. We spent most of the time wandering the streets and eating some fabulous food: beignets from the world-famous Cafe du Monde, frog legs, melt-in-your-mouth beef, rich creamy sauces covering shrimp and fish.... my mouth is watering remembering it all.

We made our way into the French Quarter, but only during the day. It was trash day, so it was all out on the sidewalks. Because NOLA is below sea level and is established where the Mississippi River opens to the Gulf, the humidity is sweltering; I'm pretty sure we showered 3 or 4 times a day (tangent). So, it reeked. Which prompted me to consider what it would have been like in the heat, without an organized trash service, wearing dresses and suits, riding in buggies and wagons down the narrow streets, as sickness ran rampent, a couple hundred years ago. It was a pretty cool feeling. And I was thankful for what I have.

I'm only 2.5 hours away, and I certainly plan on going back. There's so much to do! Shopping on Magazine Street, going to Bourbon Street (at.night.), visiting the Audubon Zoo and Insectarium, the Auqarium, visiting the WWII and Civil War Museums (I admit it, I hear they are pretty cool), creeping through the old cemetaries. Maybe if I'm crazy I will go to Mardi Gras. And if I keep up with the family, I'm sure there are Saints football festivities in the future.

I'm glad I went. I'm excited to go back.


1 comment:

  1. I love your writing! You could be a travel writer if you decide to stop saving people's lives! I'm learning so much about the south!!

    ReplyDelete